Thursday, March 7, 2019

New England Fall - Part 5

After I left Sleepy Hollow Farm, I had a pretty long list of things to try to find and to see if they would make for any cool photos or not.  The list consisted of a lot of covered bridges and a handful of farms and barns, and a couple of old mills I was excited to check out.  I had put most of those locations into my GPS, but hadn't really done a good job of keeping track of which ones had the most potential so I decided to just pull up the closest places and drive past as many as I could, just to see what they looked like.  I knew that there wouldn't be many places that were famous on my list so there was no rush to get to any one place in particular.  

I drove past a number of bridges that afternoon, and hate to say it, but was very disappointed to find out that most of the covered bridges in Vermont and New Hampshire seem to have been built to be used, with very little thought to making them pleasing to look at.  LOL  That's not to say that covered bridges still aren't cool to look at and drive over, but most of the ones I was running across really didn't lend to "pretty" photos.  Maybe if the weather conditions had been different they could have been great to photograph, but I wasn't that lucky on this trip.

So once I realized the covered bridges weren't going to be a goldmine of photo opportunities, I turned my attention to looking for a couple of the farms and barns that were on my list.  Luckily I did know that there were three more farms on my list that would at give me a chance to take some more nice photos.

This was the first of those three. This was Stonewall Farm which sits in a nice out of the way valley that made for a beautiful drive. The clouds had really begun to move in by the time I got here so the light wasn't great but I still managed to get a photo that I liked of one of the barns and what looked like the main farmhouse running off behind it.


Stonewall Farm

I kind of wish I would have stuck around here for a little longer just to see if the sun would break through the sky and light up the barn and trees a little better.  It's getting really late so I'm going to cut this entry short.  If you're still here and reading this though, here are a couple of more photos I'll toss in to those post.  These weren't really taken anywhere near here each other, but they do keep to the theme of farms and barns. :)

This was a very cool old barn I saw, that was really weathered and painted white, and it just lent itself to a black and white photo



Then one day while just driving some random back roads, I came across a field where the hay was sitting out there in this cool pattern and it totally caught my eye as having the potential for a fun shot so I did a quick u-turn and pulled off the side of the road to take this photo.   It didn't turn out how I had first hoped, but I still liked it.



One thing I was really loving was the number of great red barns scattered all over each state.  Some were much harder to get good photos of, but these two were a couple of my favorites from the trip as well.



While shooting the "big picture" stuff, I try hard to look for little details or even possible abstract type shots but it's certainly not a strong point of my photography.  I have a great photographer friend that loves the details and always seems to see things I don't when we shoot photos together, and I try to see if I can maybe find something she would shoot if she was there.   This probably would be a shot she took, but hey, I kind of liked it for its simplicity and just something about the reflection in the old glass against that red was pretty cool.


No comments:

Post a Comment