Thursday, February 14, 2019

New England Fall - Part 1

Vermont in the Fall has been on my bucket list for many years. I've always heard about how beautiful it is there that time of year and that it ranks up there as one of the prettiest places for Fall photography in the U.S.

I hadn't really had a chance to travel much last year so I decided that I should finally take a trip back east to see as much of Vermont and New Hampshire as I could and see if I could get lucky with my timing and catch the peak Fall colors while I was there.  The one downside with planning a trip around Fall Foliage is that there is no set time that the colors change every year, and there are so many variables that come into play, the best you can really do is just hope luck is on your side.

When I booked my flight, I really only had one location in mind that I knew I had to visit for sure, and that was Sleepy Hollow Farm. It is one of the most photographed places on the East Coast outside of New York City that I see, and every time I would see photos of it, I would just stop and stare for a while and it would make me want to make a trip there even if that was the only photo I came away with.

I flew from Seattle to Boston and then rented a car for the week that was big enough to carry all my gear and that could double as a place to sleep at least a few nights on this trip to both save money, and to put me much closer to places I wanted to be for a couple of Sunrises while I was there.

My flight landed a couple of hours before the sun was due to come up and my plan was to visit Sleepy Hollow Farm in Vermont before Sunset,  so I planned a stop along the way that should also make for a great photo and hopefully I could get there early enough to catch sunrise there. I knew it was going to be close, but I figured I had the timing just about right as long as I didn't run into any huge delays in rush hour traffic or something.

Turned out I got really lucky and even though the rental car place at the airport took MUCH longer than I expected, traffic was so light getting out of town that time of morning that I still managed to make it to Grist Mill as the sun first lit it up.


Grist Mill


So my trip had officially started, and I already had a photo that made me happy, even though it's nothing spectacular.  It was just nice light at a very cool spot, and a photo I knew I'd like.

No comments:

Post a Comment