Monday, August 3, 2020

Alaska Brown Bears - Day 2

Day 2 – Sun July 26

We get on the boat today, but we’re not due to be picked up until 2pm so we decided to walk to breakfast at one of the only breakfast places open on Kodiak.  The place is called King’s Diner and they actually had a really good breakfast menu.  I went for Pancakes, eggs and sausage which you really can’t go wrong with and it was good breakfast.  On the way back to hotel we spotted a sporting goods shop and each of us needed a couple of things for the trip so we stopped in there really quick.  I bought a mosquito net for my head as I was told they can get really bad in some of the marshland we’ll be visiting and it’s better to have one and not need it, than the other way around for sure!  Now we just had to wait to get picked up so we headed back to the hotel, watched some TV until we had to check out, and then all just sat in the lobby chatting until we were picked up and taken to the boat.  We unloaded all our bag, got a tour and safety talk about the boat and then it was time to get going.  We weren’t going to make it all the way to the first landing spot today but we did have a long way to travel so just sat back, had some snacks and then watched whales, otters and eagles along the way.  It was really smooth sailing and when we made it to the stopping point for the night, the captain anchored the boat and then we were fed what was going to turn out to be the first of many very tasty meals on this trip.  I know I’m going to pay for all the food when I get back home, but for now, I’m just going to enjoy the week and not worry about it.  I know I’ll regret that later. LOL

The skies looked really good as sunset finally started to get closer, and it looked like there might be an epic sunset, but it just teased us for a while before fizzling out at the last minute.  I still snapped a few shots that I thought looked really nice anyway before everyone called it a night.  Tomorrow morning is going to be an early wake up to try to make it across the straight with the tides in our favor.  I think the captain plans on starting the engines at 5:45am and it will be hard to sleep once that big engine kicks back on.


First of many fin whales we saw

Just a view across the water

Big pod of fin whales moved along with us for a while - might have been 6 or 7 of them

Here you can see 4 at once

Stranded Ship on the beach

The best the sunset got tonight

No comments:

Post a Comment