Thursday, March 21, 2019

Vermont Covered Bridges - Part 3

One thing I found that was pretty interesting is that there were a number of homes I saw in Vermont and New Hampshire that had their own private covered bridge that crossed small creeks at the bottom of the homeowner's property.  Some of them were very cool looking and were built in the same style as the 1800s styled bridges around the state.  Here are two private bridges I ran across.   The first actually had a padlocked gate on the backside to keep people from driving across it. 




I know I've shown a number of photos already, but most of the photos I've shared so far were bridges that were a little unique in one way or another.  I think I've mentioned how most of the covered bridges in the state all have the same kind of look, and this bridge is a perfect example of what the majority of them look like.  I would say that 80% of the ones I saw and drove across looked just like this and all were about the same length even.


There was one bridge though that was much longer than the rest.  It was so long that it was hard to find an angle to get a good photo of it until I climbed down to the river's edge and down the bank a little.  The problem here was that the sun was blasting directly into the camera lens though so I shot it two different ways.  One with most of the sun blocked by the tree branch, where I knew I could create a sun star that might be kind of cool in the photo.  Then for the other, I just used the bridge itself to block the sun.



And then for my last covered bridge photo, I saved what was my favorite bridge on this trip and also the newest one I saw.  This one was built in 2012 and you could tell right away that it was very new, but I loved how they stuck to the same style of all the other bridges across the state.  I think this bridge was my favorite for a couple of reasons.  One is that the colors of the wood and roof really played well off of each other, and the surrounding colors of the bushes and hillside.  As soon as I shot this photo, I knew it was going to be my favorite of all the bridges.


And B... was that it had a set of train tracks running in front of it that made for a composition that made this my favorite shot of all the covered bridges.  I tried this shot in both color and black and white and the black and white version was my favorite of the two by far.


One last note about this bridge.  I loved how they not only stuck to the look of all the other bridges, but they also built it the same throughout.  I really thought I was going to see that the outside was just a shell on a concrete and metal structure inside.


Okay, that's the last of my covered bridge posts (for now anyway).  I think I shared all the best shots I got on this trip and probably won't post anything else about covered bridges until I can return to Oregon and re-shoot the 52 bridges I know of down there, under better weather conditions than I had on the last photo trip there.

No comments:

Post a Comment